Sunday, September 12, 2010

Studio Lighting

I just attended a class on studio lighting, put on by my friend, the amazing makeup artist, Vivian Tran of All Made Up.  Her work is absolutely beautiful!  I joined her at her studio as we learned how to set up lighting for a studio shoot with instructor Kevin Toohey.  I am absolutely clueless as it comes to flash photography.  I don't even own a flash!  But I thought this would be good for me to understand studio lighting if I ever have to do it.

Vivian had two models ready for us - her team did a fabulous job with the hair, makeup, and tan.  It was fun to shoot using reflectors, umbrellas, and ring flashes.  I just wanted to keep shooting!  So here are a few of my shots of the models, Hahn and Tram.  The main focus was the hair and makeup, as this is what All Made Up is all about.  You can see how gorgeous and flawless the makeup is.  The reason for the bikini is to feature the tan as well.

First some headshots with umbrella lights.
This lighting highlighted the hair.
Proof-1
Proof-2

For this one, the lights were moved and was more direct on Tram's face.  It's very soft and pretty.
Proof-3

Then we got to play with a ring flash to get these more edgy looks.
Proof-4
Proof-5

Finally, I went outside and did some natural light photos with Tram.  You can definitely see the difference in the style of lighting!
Proof-6
Proof-7

0 comments: